1. Hotel, resort, spa, and businesses
Reduce reuse recycle: Hotels in Koh Samui Encourage supplier and staff to reduce the use of plastic in daily practice. Encourage guests to care about the the environment by requesting them to reuse towels and to use refillable drinking containers. Some decoration in the hotels and resorts are made from recycled products.
Waste management; Be responsible for waste management. Implement waste separation program for efficient recycling and have organic waste collected as part of compost schemes for use of garden or EM product.
Saving Energy; reduce consumption of electricity by implementing new technology of create an awareness amongst guests and staff.
Businesses support local community projects such as cleaning beaches, using local products, and establish green school, a project designed to teach kids about correct and responsible waste management.
2. Department Store and Convenient Store
- Encourage the public to reduce the use of plastic bag.
- Launch policies and events under Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rethink theme.
- Promote Deposit-and- Return system to increase the amount of recycled glass bottle.
- Set up the Hazardous waste points to dispose them properly.
- Promote the sales of environmental friendly products.
- Promote local products.
3. Public Transport
- Encourage transportation service provider to improve on the quality, service, and safety of the public
- Encourage entrepreneurs to run the Green Transportation campaign.
- Organize the language courses and service training and service-minded course.
- Install Green Transport Card with prepaid system for regular passengers.
- Support Beach Detective and Water Detective activities.
- Support the mangrove conservation activities.
- Provide Green Cuisine course for entrepreneurs.
- Cooperate with THA Green to support Samui Low Carbon School project.
Tourism Knowledge Improvement
- Develop local products to support tourism market.
- Educate the local producers on design and technology to improve local products.
- Encourage local business to support local product such as the utilization of local ingredients in their restaurants and spas.
- Train the local to be able to supervise on their own safety and able to support the officers when needed.
5. Local Administration
- Set up a consultant committee for natural and environmental conservation from the general public consisting
of entrepreneurs, local communities, educational institutions, media sector, and experts from both government and private sectors.
- Hold the seminars or training courses to educate local leaders in natural and environmental management.
- Hold the workshops to strengthen all the relevant parties' knowledge and know-how in the aspects of thinking approach and skill as well as encourage them to apply their local wisdom with suitable technologies in managing their local environment. ( Approach: Set up the mobile public stage that is able to rotate around one community to another for the local communities to discuss and exchange their opinions and knowledge.
6. Public Promotion
Set up the trend through activities
- Walk/run/cycling campaign
- Planting campaign
- Hold the ‘Green Island’ activity on 5 December to celebrate his Majesty’s anniversary.
- Hold the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle campaign to reduce the amount of trash in Samui and monitor its number weekly via local TV and radio station.
Advertising and PR
- Announce the merit of those who contribute to Samui’s environment through website.
- Produce green media e.g. TV, radio, and free-copy of ‘Green Island’ manual.
- Provide media to promote the campaign’s information and code of Conduct for tourists and entrepreneurs.
- Provide media to encourage and educate people on the ‘Sufficient Living’ e.g. broadcasting the open stage of discussion on the topic.